However, by performing some basic steps you can help protect your IT systems and client data from cyber crime.
Here we provide a summary of the key steps to help protect you:
• This particular attack (WannaCry) only affects Microsoft Windows systems, smart phones and Apple Mac OS are safe from the malware.
• Run Windows Update to update your PCs. Do this once a week.
• Backup up your data. Test your backups regularly to make sure that you can restore it.
• Be suspicious of unexpected emails that ask you to click on web links or open attached files. This is a common way to distribute malware.
• Disable macros from running automatically.
• Install anti-virus software and keep it up to date.
• If in doubt consult with your IT service provider.
Further information can be found at 10 Steps to Cyber Security.
Mark Taylor, is ICAEW technical manager, technical innovation